Re: IBM NetStation 1000 Port

Hello,

> I've done some work but I've never figured how to get the NS1K to try
> to load my images.  My guess is they need a signature of some sort and
> I don't the magic incantations to bless my kernels.

Looking at the patch for the Linux kernel, that seems to be easy. They insert
the following code at the beginning of the image (head.S for Linux):

start:
        bl      start_
        nop
        nop
        .long   0x33
        .string "XncdPPC"
        .long   0x7fae0000
        .long   0x00413d80
        .long   0x00092214
        .long   0x00000000
        .long   0x39771c2a
        .long   0x00000010
start_:

My plan was to try the same thing with a PREP NetBSD kernel (the patch I have
for Linux is on top of their PREP kernel, so that seemed like a good starting
point for NetBSD as well). I have no idea what any of that means, and I cannot
find any information about how it was derived. It is similar to, though not the
same as the beginning of the text section in the IBM image I have:

     b       0x8101200c
     nop
     nop
     .long0x33
     .string "XncdPPC"
     .long 0xf3920000
8101001c:       00 41 3a 80     .long 0x413a80
81010020:       81 01 2d 64     lwz     r8,11620(r1)
81010024:       00 00 00 00     .long 0x0
81010028:       39 77 1b 37     addi    r11,r23,6967
8101002c:       00 00 00 23     .long 0x23

I'll let you know how I get on - the PREP kernel is building as I type ;-) Once
I have that built, I'll see about a patch to get the necessary changes in

=====
Rate Corporate America at http://exec-ratings.bluedonkey.org