Subject: re: possible bug in gcc
To: matthew green <>
From: M L Riechers <>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 03/17/2003 16:54:20
(My apologies to, to whom I evidently
sent my last email.  Please, just thow it away.)

>    "likely use a gcc-3_3-branch compiler successfully" certainly perked
>    my interest. Would you or someone else be so kind as to make a short
>    outline of what I got to do to cvs or something a 3.3 for compile, and
>    what's involved in making NetBSD makes and such happy for the gcc
>    build?
> % cvs -d login
> <answer "anoncvs">
> % cvs -d co -r gcc-3_3-branch gcc
> see
> .mrg.

Thanks much, Matt.  Following your instructions I successfully got the
3.3 branch, and (mostly, maybe?) compiled gcc.

Hooray! We're finally on our way!

However, the gcc build stopped at compiling or using g++ at, oh, what
the heck this:

-shared-libgcc -B/usr/local/src/pkgsrcs
tuff/pkgsrc/lang/gcc3.3/gcc/gcc/ -nostdinc++
-B/usr/local/powerpc-unknown-netbsd1.6/bin/ -B/usr/l
ocal/powerpc-unknown-netbsd1.6/lib/ -isystem
/usr/local/powerpc-unknown-netbsd1.6/include -msoft- float -fPIC
-mstrict-align -g -O2 -msoft-float -fPIC -mstrict-align -msoft-float
-fPIC -mstrict-a lign -o abi_check abi_check.o
pc-unknown-netbsd1.6/soft-float/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -lm

undefined reference to `__fixsfsi'

... and so on:  the stuff defined in libc softfloat to link with gcc's

I'm not sure whether to rejoice or despair.  I wasn't quite expecting
soft float support out of this build, but I'd be quite happy to get
it, (even optionally) since a full, complete, working soft float
system's where I'd like to be. (mpc860 cpu).  I'm even a little
puzzled that I got soft-float,  although maybe this is standard with
later gcc's.

I'm toying with defining MKSOFTFLOAT and rebuilding libc, but I don't
know what effect that will have.

My system is 1.6:

uname -a gives

NetBSD 1.6 NetBSD 1.6 (EASTERN-1.6.backside.2) #1: Sun
Oct 6 14:05:52 EDT 2002

Should I upgrade, or fiddle with what I have?  I don't really want to
go to current, but I will if I have to.

Best Regards,