Subject: Re: Teron CX Motherboard Support
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/17/2002 12:11:57
On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 11:34 AM, Allen Briggs wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:31:28AM -0800, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> No, it shouldn't, comparatively.  But booting it might be, again
>> comparatively.
>
> It actually should be pretty easy to boot, I'd think.

That's what I would think too but since I have not done much
programming at this point I am not sure how to go about it. I am
learning C right now so that I can work on this but I know it is quite
a daunting task for being a first major project. I have received some
excellent suggestions as to where to look for information and I have
ordered some books that should help but I am still going to need to
learn much more about powerpc assembly and that type of thing.

It seems like most of the code is already in NetBSD to deal with most
everything at least partially except for possibly the North bridge
chipset (Articia S), the IBM 750CXe G3 processor, and the PPCBoot
booting mechanism.

I would really like to see this board and future versions work so that
there is a low cost powerpc solution for those that would like to use
the powerpc platform for NetBSD in the form of servers or other systems
at a reduced cost compared to buying new Apple hardware. The advantage
is that this board is much more open than Apple's designs.

Any suggestions? I am willing to do what it takes to get this working
but it will take me longer than many of you because I have little to no
experience at this type of thing.

Bryan