Re: dud ptrace values under dejagnu

Just to update this.

Problem doesn't occure with a 1.6 release kernel.
Don't know about head of 1.6, that just panics.
Problem does occure with a current mainline kernel.

Andrew

Hello,

Current GDB (cvs -d :sources.redhat.com:/cvs/src co gdb+dejagnu OR gdb) under
1.6 and head of 1.5 has really bad test results.

Part of it is attributable to a more agressive compiler (frameless functions)
but part of it is not.  In fact, part is downright weird.

Under the dejagnu test framework I see results like:

(gdb) p t_char_values(0,0)

_start ()
The program being debugged was signaled while in a function called from GDB.
GDB remains in the frame where the signal was received.
To change this behavior use "set unwindonsignal on"
Evaluation of the expression containing the function (t_char_values) will be
abandoned.

Which would, most likely, be due to ptrace() returning SIGSEGV instead of
SIGTRAP (there is a breakpoint at _start()).

If you're thinking it's GDB's bundled dejangu, think again.  Switching to the
NetBSD [un-]bundled expect/dejagnu causes the test result to work; ONCE!  After
that it to fails.  (the dejagnu was built before my 1.6 install.  Better
refresh that ...).

Anyone else able to ``reproduce'' this?

I don't think it is GDB and, even if its a dejagnu/expect bug, it should be
reproducable.

fun, eh?
Andrew