Re: Porting to IBM Risc 6000

On 2002.08.09 16:34 David Edelsohn wrote:

>       PReP is not the same as CHRP.
Yes, of course. My question was more like "Are they similar enough to
support them with a single NetBSD port?" I don't know PReP and CHRP
internas yet. I started to read the CHRP spec to get an overview...

> PReP machines do not have the same
> Open Firmware device tree, client services, and RTAS.
[...]
>       RPA is the IBM-specific continuation of CHRP.
>  It supports Open Firmware (device tree, client services, RTAS),
> but it may have different devices than specified in the CHRP
> specification.  It may use different interrupt controllers
> (not OpenPIC), etc.
So we would end with port-prep for the PReP only machines and port-chrp
(port-rpa?) for CHRP and RPA machines? And perhaps an additional
port-chrp64 for 64 bit CHRP/RPA machines? Analogus to port-sparc and
port-sparc64? (I know I can ask a lot of stupid questions. ;-) )

And where to get the RPA spec? PReP and CHRP are at
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/rs6000/technology/spec/
--

tschüß,
         Jochen