Subject: Re: Porting to IBM Risc 6000
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 08/10/2002 12:48:48
>>>>> Matt Thomas writes:

Matt> Whew!  Does Power4 have locked (hopefully variable sized) TLB
Matt> entries?  (which are what BATs really are)

	Power4 has support for "large pages".  One also can "bolt" entries
in the page table and ensure that they don't fall out of the TLB/SLB.

Matt> Also, is the 64-bit PowerPC ELF ABI document available somewhere?

	The ABI is on the website with the toolchain patches.

http://www.penguinppc64.org/

Matt> The more I investigate, the more I leaning to do a ppc64 kernel
Matt> with COMPAT_NETBSD32 support.

	I'm not sure what this means.  It's probably easier and better to
support 32-bit user apps -- you do not need or want a 64-bit only system.

David