Subject: re: Porting to IBM Risc 6000
To: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 08/09/2002 03:46:19

   Matt> That's definitely a prep machine.  the 7043-260 is a CHRP machine.
   Matt> Since it uses OFW, I'll start off making it a ofppc variant (probably
   Matt> called CHRP or rs6000).  I'm going to start on a 32bit port first and
   Matt> once that's stable long with a stable 64bit PPC toolchain, I'll move to
   Matt> 64bit.  When that happens, we have lots of fun things to decide...

   	64-bit PowerPC systems cannot boot a pure 32-bit PowerPC kernel.
   Most of the kernel can remain the same and run in 32-bit mode, but the
   memory management and MSR registers need to be manipulated as 64-bit
   quantities.

is that really logically any different that 32-bit on sparc64
hardware, where many supervisor parts are 64-bits?  ie, it only
requires special assembler code, not a real 64 bit kernel?