Subject: Re: Porting to IBM Risc 6000
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 08/08/2002 20:34:09
On 2002.08.08 18:18 Matt Thomas wrote:

> >I have an old RS/6000-250 MCA machine that I can throw in for
> testing.
> That's definitely a prep machine.
The RS/6000-250 is pre PREP. "started shipping Oct., 1993"
http://www.mort.level5.net/johnr/howto/ppc-faq.txt
AFAIK there are no PREP Machines with MCA bus. Ups. It seams the 250 is
a PPC601 machine. That will make the support a bit complicated, as
NetBSD has no support for this CPU.

> the 7043-260 is a CHRP machine.
> Since it uses OFW, I'll start off making it a ofppc variant (probably
> called CHRP or rs6000).
As I understand from Wolfgang Solfranks posting to port-powerpc CHRP is
a souped-up PREP.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-powerpc/2002/08/06/0001.html
So it would be best to extend port-prep to PREP and CHRP.

> I'm going to start on a 32bit port first and
> once that's stable long with a stable 64bit PPC toolchain, I'll move
> to 64bit.  When that happens, we have lots of fun things to decide...
Like sparc / sparc64?

> > I will get a B50 (7046-B50, "only" 375MHz PPC604e) for
> >400,-EUR tomorrow. This machine seams to fit better to port-prep
> It depends.  does the B50 have OFW or not?
Yes and it shold be "mostly" CHRP compatible. I hope to see it in detail
tomorow. ;-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen