Subject: NetBSD on a G4 400 (AGP)
To: None <port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel. M. Decarie <emm@scriptdigital.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 05/28/2002 16:49:04
Hello,

I'm a big fan of the BSDs. I'm actually running FreeBSD 4.2 on a test
machine on my LAN and run OS X on my workstation.

I'm trying to evaluate the following for a G4 400 (AGP) that I want
to use as a server that can scale up to 100,000 hits/day.

I have the choice to either run it with NetBSD, OS X (but not OS X
Server) or Darwin.

- Will I get more stability/performance if I install NetBSD than OS X?

- On the macosx@perl.org, I see that some people have some problems
installing some Apache Perl modules like Apache::Cookie on OS X (see
the post below). Is NetBSD regarding Perl, MySQL, the Perl DBI
module, the Perl Apache modules working well? I don't want to move
from one OS to another to faces compatibility problems.

- I know that its hard to evaluate, and depends on a lot of factors,
but is a G4 400 with NetBSD on it is comparable to say a PIII 800 Mhz?

=46undamentally, I rather use NetBSD because it seems more mature as a
server than OS X. I don't need any graphical UI for this server.

TIA

Cheers
-Emmanuel

=C0 (At) 23:23 -0700 23/04/02, David Wheeler =E9crivait (wrote) :
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:23:36 -0700
>Subject: Re: CPAN shell error with DELETE key
>From: David Wheeler <david@wheeler.net>
>To: "Ward W. Vuillemot" <wwv@mac.com>,
>	<macosx@perl.org>
>
>On 4/23/02 11:05 PM, "Ward W. Vuillemot" <wwv@mac.com> claimed:
>
>>  P.S.  Any status update with default Perl and Apache::Cookie (libareq)? =
>>  tried the suggestion from Joe S. without any success.  Anywhere I have a
>>  "use Apache::Cookie" the module will not load.  E.g., I have a startup.p=
>>  file I use to load common modules in memory at the startup of Apache. .
>>  ..commenting out the "use Apache::Cookie" gets it to start.  Of course, =
my
>>  mod_perl apps require the mod, so without it quite a moot accomplishment=
=2E
>>  As it were.
>
>I don't know what the status is, but if you  need to use libapreq, you can
>use the experimental version with the experimental version of Apache that
>you'll find here:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/~joes/
>
>I also wrote up a how-to on getting this version of Apache going with
>mod_perl:
>
>   http://david.wheeler.net/osx.html
>
>HTH,
>
>David
>
>--
>David Wheeler                                     AIM: dwTheory
>david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
>http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
>                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Emmanuel D=E9carie / Programmation pour le Web - Programming for the Web
=46rontier - Perl - Javascript - XML  <http://scriptdigital.com/>