Subject: Re: MPC860 port status
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: David Querbach <querbach@realtime.bc.ca>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/10/2002 10:05:59
> querbach@realtime.bc.ca (David Querbach)  wrote:
>  > > I am newly interested in MPC860 ports of NetBSD.
>  > > There has been nothing related to it in the mailing-lists since Oct 16, 2001
>  > > from Takashi Hosokawa.
>  > > Could anybody tell me the current status ? Thanks.
>  >
>  > We have an MPC8260 port that we hope to publish shortly.  Time and resources
>  > permitting, we will then back-port the MPC8260 drivers to finish the MPC860
>  > port we started a while ago.
>
> I thought there was a 'pmap' issue where some other port had diverged and
> done something that made the mpc860 pmap unhappy.
>
> Sorry for the sketchy details.

The MPC8xx MMU is fundamentally different from the PPC60x MMU, being much
closer to the x86 MMU in its general design, but without hardware support
for page modification detection.

We started a pmap for the MPC8xx, then got dragged off to do other work.  I
believe the Plat'Home people in Japan also did a pmap, but the last time I
checked, they still needed to add page modification emulation.  I'm not sure
what the current status of their port is.

Regards,

David Querbach
Real-Time Systems Inc.