Re: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_7200.html

At 8:46 PM +0100 2/1/02, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
 > >i'm not sure i understand you. so WILL just this PCI board with VGA and/or
 >IDE/SCSI/NET inserted on passive plane boot?

 Not sure what you mean by inserted.  If you just read the
 specifications for the PowerMac 7200 from Apple, that's what is on
 the motherboard.  If you start with a bare board then you need a

pci "bare boards" with power supply are easily available.

 case, power supply, memory, SCSI disk, Apple-compatable monitor,

can it work without gfx? on serial port?

In Open Firmware and NetBSD, yes.  Not under MacOS.

38400 Baud, I forget the rest and not sure which of the two ports is default. See the FAQ and Install instructions.

If you want a G3 or G4 then you may have trouble getting nvram configured properly without MacOS. A 601 isn't supported yet, but a 604 for this class of machine is around $15 the last I checked.

What I remember of the 7200 was a soldered-on 601 CPU. That won't work for NetBSD, yet. I didn't look at the URL enough to see how Sonnet gets around that and what they do may or may not work for a cheaper 604 upgrade.
Henry.B.Hotz%jpl.nasa.gov@localhost, or hbhotz%oxy.edu@localhost