Subject: Re:
To: Wojciech Puchar <>
From: Henry B. Hotz <>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 02/01/2002 11:55:49
At 8:46 PM +0100 2/1/02, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>  > >i'm not sure i understand you. so WILL just this PCI board with VGA and/or
>>  >IDE/SCSI/NET inserted on passive plane boot?
>>  Not sure what you mean by inserted.  If you just read the
>>  specifications for the PowerMac 7200 from Apple, that's what is on
>>  the motherboard.  If you start with a bare board then you need a
>pci "bare boards" with power supply are easily available.
>>  case, power supply, memory, SCSI disk, Apple-compatable monitor,
>can it work without gfx? on serial port?

In Open Firmware and NetBSD, yes.  Not under MacOS.

38400 Baud, I forget the rest and not sure which of the two ports is
default.  See the FAQ and Install instructions.

If you want a G3 or G4 then you may have trouble getting nvram
configured properly without MacOS.  A 601 isn't supported yet, but a
604 for this class of machine is around $15 the last I checked.

What I remember of the 7200 was a soldered-on 601 CPU.  That won't
work for NetBSD, yet.  I didn't look at the URL enough to see how
Sonnet gets around that and what they do may or may not work for a
cheaper 604 upgrade.
not those of Caltech, JPL, NASA, or the US Government., or