Re: bzero

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 10:06:36AM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

 > The latest code drop from Martin includes fetching the cache line size
 > with the machdep.cachelinesize sysctl.

While I haven't looked at the code yet (at all :-), I have some
comments that may or may not be useful:

        (1) The cacheline size should be cached.  I.e. check it, if
            zero, then do the sysctl to fetch it, otherwise just
            use the cached value.

        (2) An optimized bzero() is cool, but the standard API is
            memset().  I suppose you want to check to see if the
            value argument to memset() is 0 (which should be an
            extremely common case) and branch to the optimized
            zero loop if so.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej%wasabisystems.com@localhost>