Subject: NetBSD on IBM NetStation 1000
To: None <port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Decker <mldecker@bigfoot.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 09/22/2001 00:30:10
There have been a couple of posts within the last month concerning NetBSD=
 on=20
the IBM NetworkStation model 1000.  I have one of the devices (603EV@200M=
hz,=20
64MB RAM).  While reading the NC-HOWTO, there was a link to an IBM websit=
e=20
that provided the IBM Thin Client Manager (there was no charge for this=20
product, although I did have to register to download)  Within this softwa=
re=20
is a kernel image for the IBM thin client model 1000 (8362-A52).  I went=20
ahead and downloaded the software, installed it on a WINNT server, and wa=
s=20
able to boot my thin client from the NT Server.  The operating system tha=
t is=20
loaded seems to be a build of NetBSD 1.4 specifically for this network=20
computer.  'uname -a' returns the following:

NetBSD  1.4-NCOS NetBSD 1.4-NCOS  (CLIENT.NS1K) #0: Tue Dec 19 14:16:52 M=
ST  =20
2000   =20
buildmaster@buildns1k:/buildmaster/modules/NCOS/build-history/build-3.0.b=
eta-200012191201/NCOS/os-src/sys/arch/ns1k/compile/CLIENT.NS1K=20
ns1k

It also seems that the Linux OS for this device is a stripped-down versio=
n:=20
only the functions and applications necessary to connect to a server and =
do=20
work are provided.  It is defintely not a full linux install. =20

/Mark