Subject: Re: Separating PowerPC 4xx and 6xx arch-specific code
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/10/2001 16:43:54
Matt Thomas wrote:

> At 02:46 PM 4/10/2001 +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> >Folks,
> >
> >We (Wasabi) are working on a port to a 4xx series PowerPC board, and in
> >the interests of sharing as much code as possible between the 4xx family
> >and the 6xx/7xx family I'd like to propose adding some new kernel config
> >options.  What I'm thinking of is:
>
> IBM 4xx?

The "embedded" processors - the 401, 403, 405 and 440 series.

> >  + Adding to the kernel config file(s):
> >
> >         options         ARCH_4xx        # PowerPC 400 family
> >         options         ARCH_6xx        # PowerPC 600/700 family
>
> ARCH_IBM? ARCH_MOTO? :)
>
> >  + Defopt'ing these in files.powerpc as
> >
> >         defopt  opt_arch.h      ARCH_4xx ARCH_6xx
>
> Exactly what are the differences that need to differentiated?

For a start, the MMU is completely different.  There's also some
register differences - eg, there'd no HID0/HID1 registers on the
4xx chips, so initppc() needs to be changed.  So I'd like to say:

	#ifdef ARCH_6xx
		/* do the HID stuff */
	#endif

Simon.