Re: mvme2700

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mark Hansen wrote:

> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:01:19 -0700
> From: Mark Hansen <hansenm%mtnranch.com@localhost>
> To: port-powerpc%netbsd.org@localhost, port-mvme68k%netbsd.org@localhost
> Subject: mvme2700
>
> Is there a plan to port to the MVME2700?

The MVME2700, like all the Motorola PowerPlus boards
(MVME230x, 260x, 2700, 3600, 4600, MTX60x, etc) would more likely
fall under the aegis of the NetBSD/prep port since PPC-Bug configures
them according to a PReP address map and they support booting a PReP
kernel from CD-ROM, hard disk, floppy disk and network.

However, these use the Raven MPIC/PHB, which is completely programmable,
so one could (and some have) reprogrammed it as CHRP in the kernel
loader.

See Debian PPC Linux for an example.  I run Debian on my MTX604-010
(dual MPC604e), but would like very much to see a BSD on the PowerPlus
series.

--
John D. Baker                                       I hear, and I forget.
jdbaker@NoSpAm!blkbox.com                          I see, and I remember.