Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX for PowerPC: register names
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/11/2001 11:11:53
>>>>> Emmanuel Dreyfus writes:

Emmanuel> In order to correctly implement signal handling for Linux binaries, I
Emmanuel> need some information about the names of the PowerPC registers. Linux
Emmanuel> and NetBSD seems to use different names, and I have to make them fit.

Emmanuel> Here are the registers with different names, please help  me identifying
Emmanuel> them:
Emmanuel> Linux names:
Emmanuel> ccr
Emmanuel> link
Emmanuel> nip
Emmanuel> msr

Emmanuel> NetBSD names:
Emmanuel> cr
Emmanuel> lr
Emmanuel> srr0
Emmanuel> srr1

Emmanuel> I think that ccr might be cr and link lr, but what about nip and msr?

	ccr probably is cr.  link is lr.  msr is machine status register
which is different than srr0/srr1.  rfi instruction restores the msr from
srr1, but is not srr1.

	"nip" doesn't mean anything to me.  What does "nip" mean on x86?

David