Subject: Re: IBM Network Station
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@liberate.com>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <et1@attglobal.net>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 11/03/1999 21:17:30
"Neil A. Carson" wrote:

> > On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:17:19 -0700
> >  "Neil A. Carson" <neil@nc.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > Neither. The port was contracted to Wolfgang Solfrank, who did a
> >  > brilliant job. He's allowed to commit back the 403 CPU-specific bits of
> >  > the code if he wants to, however stuff pertaining to the Model 300
> >  > itself has to stay locked inside.
> >
> > for how long?
>
> I don't believe there was any time set on the work. I'll chat with some
> people and see if anything can be done about it, but I'm not 100% convinced
> it'll be possible.

This would be really great since, I believe, the software for the IBM Network
Station is now a chargeable - you have to order it separately anyway, so
charging for it only comes naturally,
for IBM :-)

So having free code around can only encourage some enterprising folks to roll
their own solutions.

--et