Subject: Re: G4 support?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 07/02/1999 00:04:25
On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 01:53:31PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Unfortunatly the new CHRP-ish OF doesn't seem to like our boot.fs much.
> I'm working on other things to try. So please get in touch when you try
> this.

  I tried the floppy, but the Mac looks at it, spits it out, and
then prints an unhappy Mac face, replaced by a happy Mac face
once it finds the hard drive, at which point it goes into
MacOS.  The machines in question have Zip drives also, if that
would be more likely to work -- point me to an image of a working
port-powerpc Zip disk image, and I can dd it on to a Zip disk
from a Linux box, and boot that way, right?

  The G4-based systems are like the blue-and-white/clear G3 ones,
and we also have a G4 system like the beige G3 ones, if that
helps y'all identify the capabilities of the systems.  I was told
they are similar to the iMac.  Hopefully those statements don't
contradict each other....

  Or, does anyone doing port-powerpc work live near Austin, TX?
I could give you one or two of my 127 IDE disks, you could make
it functional for port-powerpc, and I could plunk it in.

  Or, I could try to set up one of the Linux boxes as a netboot
server.  But that looks much more involved than I can really
spare as far as time.

  Brian