Subject: Re: G4 support?
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 06/29/1999 23:25:04
I didn't even know the G4 was in production yet. Of course, the Somerset
facility would be one of the first places to get sample (it's the PPC
design center set up by IBM, Motorola and Apple; when I worked for Apple, I
designed and set up Apple's chunk of the network there, though I think that
the Apple people are long gone from there now).

If you've got some G4 systems with OpenBoot Firmware, why not try to
netboot a netbsd kernel on one and let us know how it blows up? We can't do
much until we have hardware. Of course, if you can shake loose a G4 system
for a NetBSD developer to work with, that would be pretty cool too...

The other thing coming down the pipe at us with the G4, as I understood it
from Apple at the WWDC in May is MP machines - assuming that the backside
cache bus is still there, how does the G4 handle cache coherency?

	very curious,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>