Re: egcs

Why use egcs instead of the gnu compiler proper?  Is there stuff in egcs
important to powerpc cross development that is not in gcc?  (I.e. bug fixes.)

At 08:19 PM 8/5/98 +0900, Kazuki Sakamoto wrote:
>In <Pine.A32.3.96.980804143751.26556F-100000%macro.stanford.edu@localhost>,
>skippy%macro.stanford.edu@localhost wrote:
>
> > Did something break in egcs-1.0.3? I got egcs-1.0.3a today, and have tried
> > a few powerpc targets. They don't seem to work..
>[...]
> > powerpc-netbsd, ppc-netbsd, and powerpc-elf-netbsd are all not ok too..
> >
> > I looked through the configure files, and I don't see what I need to set.
> > :-(
>
>I think that the following patch is necessary to use egcs-1.0.3a
>for powerpc-netbsd.
>
>Well, I made package for NetBSD/powerpc cross compile env.
>ftp://www.cec.co.jp/usr/sakamoto/NetBSD/experiment/crossppc-1.1.tgz
>
>requirement:
>       binutils-2.9.1.tar.gz
>       egcs-1.0.3a.tar.gz
>       NetBSD source
>
>usage:
>       make OPTION install
>
>       OPTION:
>               TARGET_MACHINE=ofppc
>                       ofppc or macppc or bebox.
>               ALLSRC=/usr/src
>                       path of NetBSD source tree
>               TARGET_ROOT=/usr/tmp/root
>                       DESTDIR
>
>       e.g.
>               # make PREFIX=/opt/PPC TARGET_MACHINE=macppc \
>                    ALLSRC=/usr/src.current \
>                    TARGET_ROOT=/opt/PPC/root install
>
>You can use "PREFIX/bin/ppc-make" script like "make" after the installation.
>
>Kazuki Sakamoto
>sakamoto%cec.co.jp@localhost
>
>-----cut here-----
<snip>
-=O=- Randy

In "A Scanner Darkly," was Philip K. Dick foreshadowing Web commerce?
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's
hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other
forever from our living rooms."