Subject: READ ME: ABI issue
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 05/06/1998 12:54:14
So, we have a slight problem here...

We've been using an old version of GCC that defaulted to the AIX
calling convention.  EGCS uses the SysV calling convention by default,
which is *not* entirely compatible.

I could just configure EGCS to use the AIX calling convention, but
given that the SysV convention is by definition what the ELF ABI uses,
and that there has been no real PowerPC-based distribution to date,
I'm inclined to simply switch to the SysV convention.  I've verified
that it does work -- and that the same kernel works correctly with
either set of libraries and executables.

Any thoughts on is?