Subject: Re: Serious breakage in latest PowerMac snapshot
To: Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 03/12/1998 10:16:31
Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp> writes:

> I put my newest snapshot to ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp/pub/NetBSD/powermac/.
> (your patch is applied)
>
> The OFCONS problem is fixed.  The MACE bug may be corrected, I think.

I haven't tested OFCONS yet.  The MACE bug does appear to be fixed.

> BTW,
>
> >* When using the `POWERMAC' kernel, the serial ports just don't work
> >any more.  They seem to output, but they don't accept any input.
>
> It may possibly cable problem.  Did you try another (null modem) cable?

I can assure you that it's *not* a cable problem.  `I'm not that
stupid.'

The port is wedging with both TS_BUSY and TS_ASLEEP set, which
indicates that it failed at least to get a transmit interrupt.  There
is probably a race between the firmware and/or other console handling
code that causes interrupts to get lost.