Re: PowerMac types.h lossage

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:

[list of files which should be shared]
> The BeBox should probably do the same thing, as well...
>
> Which brings up an interesting point that I've been concerned about
> for a while...
>
> In m68k-land, we have arch/m68k which has some common code shared by all
> m68k platforms (there could be a lot more, but that's not really the
> point of this message :-)
>
> We sort of have that in PowerPC-land - there is arch/powerpc, but that
> also happens to be the name of a full-fledged (OFW-devices only) port.
> What sort of interactions are there associated with doing:
>
> machine powermac powerpc
>
> ...I belive that causes config(8) to bring in both:
>
>       arch/powermac/conf/files.powermac
> and
>       arch/powerpc/conf/files.powerpc
>
> ...which would be wrong in that some unnecessary files would be included.
>
> I wanted to solve this by creating sys/cpu/{m68k,powerpc}, but there were
> some interesting issues revolving around exporting header files, etc.

What were the problems? Couldn't userland just have both cpu/powerpc and
arch/powerpc go into /usr/includes/machine, or was that not the problem?

If we can't split things up that way, how about we change one of the two
names? Either make the computer be ofpowerpc or ofppc, since it is a port
to full-fledged Open Firmware PowerPC machines and not the pseudo-OF
machines we buy from Apple, or make the cpu-specific stuff arch/ppc?

Take care,

Bill