Re: powermac snapshot.

In message
<Pine.A32.3.96.980219130044.124348D-100000%macro.stanford.edu@localhost>, Bill
 Studenmund writes:
>Though I don't know the answer, I've bet $$ that it is. :-) I bought a G3
>PowerMac, and am very happy with it. I hope to run NetBSD on it as the
>powermac development progress.

Cool.  I've been comparing them to some of the clone desktops, optionally
with a G3 board.  Looks reasonable; G3 tower box of some sort for around
$2400-2600, and that's comparable to the Apple one.  Do the clones have
a closer approximation of OpenFirmware?

>Why the "hah" for the G3's?

Because they're more expensive than 604e based clones, anyway, by quite
a large gap.  $2000 vs. $950-1500.

>Apple's problems at the moment are basically
>that the G3's cost less than many of Apple's 604e offerings, and perform
>better. Thus a lot of machines aren't selling.

Yes; I can't see why they don't cut the prices on the pre-G3 macs.

>The G3 I got is the Desktop 266 one. My configuration is $2400 from Apple
>(and $2155 through an educational discount :-).

Not shabby.  I'd love to have something like that for my "main" box - I'm
sick of Intel.

-s