Subject: Re: powermac progress
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <drow@mindcryme.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 02/07/1998 18:29:47
On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Dale Rahn wrote:
> >
> > > How far along in booting is the powermac port?
> >
> > Not very, but moving increasingly rapidly.
> >
> > As an aside, I think in the next two weeks I'll put up a status webpage
> > for it...
>
> You might talk to Allen Briggs about it. He probably could get you space
> on puma (puma/ftp/www.macbsd.com). I'm not sure if puma's net link is fast
> enough to play cvs host, though.

Hmm..I think, especially after the new line comes in on Monday, I'll be
able to host it myself.  The link will only be T1, but highly unsaturated
- fine for CVS, I think.

> > That'll be great...testers are always useful, although I wish you luck
> > installing BSD in 100MB.  It's mighty cramped.
>
> ? Are powerpc binaries that much bigger than m68k ones? My whole NetBSD
> stock instalation on my IIsi fits in a 100 MB partition. X also fit in
> there. Admittedly kernel compiling, ghostscript, etc are on the other
> partition, but I got up and running in 100 MB.

My experience with m68k was that while it was possible to boot BSD in that
size partition, it wasn't possible to actually do much.  But, yes, ppc
binaries will probably be a bit bigger (RISC).

Linuxppc with X (I know, I know,  NetBSD is probably more space efficient)
balks at running in 200MB.