Subject: Re: powermac progress
To: Dan Jacobowitz <drow@mindcryme.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 02/07/1998 11:27:01
On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Dale Rahn wrote:
>
> > How far along in booting is the powermac port?
>
> Not very, but moving increasingly rapidly.
>
> As an aside, I think in the next two weeks I'll put up a status webpage
> for it...

You might talk to Allen Briggs about it. He probably could get you space
on puma (puma/ftp/www.macbsd.com). I'm not sure if puma's net link is fast
enough to play cvs host, though.

> > I now have some access to a 6500 powermac (my wife's machine) and
> > think it would be nice if I could get it to run BSD on it from
> > a zip or something eventually.
>
> That'll be great...testers are always useful, although I wish you luck
> installing BSD in 100MB.  It's mighty cramped.

? Are powerpc binaries that much bigger than m68k ones? My whole NetBSD
stock instalation on my IIsi fits in a 100 MB partition. X also fit in
there. Admittedly kernel compiling, ghostscript, etc are on the other
partition, but I got up and running in 100 MB.

> > Ok, maybe I am looking for an excuse to get back to working on BSD
> > I have taken nearly a year break from playing and would like get back
> > to work on it.
>
> Exactly ditto :)  Haven't touched NetBSD since I ran mac68k a year ago.

:-)

Take care,

Bill