Subject: Re: Mounting root device
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/26/1998 10:20:32
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:02:21 +0900
 SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp> wrote:

 > >> The problem is that it doesn't find root partition when it
 > >> boots.  It seems that NetBSD/powerpc doesn't recognize Apple
 > >> partition map which is used NetBSD/mac68k, dosen't it?
 >
 > Daniel> It relies on OF for that, I'm betting - does apple
 > Daniel> OF do HFS? No idea.
 >
 > Ofwboot.xcf is on the HFS disk, but once our kernel booted
 > up, it manages disk in it's own way, I believe.

The Mac partition maps are not grok'd by NetBSD/powerpc.  It _does_
understand DOS-style MBR partition maps, however.  This is that PPCP
specifies.

 > boot device: <unknown>
 > root device: ofdisk1c
 > dump device (default ofdisk1b):
 > file system (default generic):
 > root on ofdisk1c dumps on ofdisk1b
 > mountroot: trying ffs...
 > mountroot: trying nfs...
 > mountroot: trying msdos...
 > root file system type: msdos
 > <hangup>

The reason for this is likely because you don't have any device nodes
on the msdos file system (msdosfs doesn't have device nodes).  Perhaps
you could make a root floppy that has a cd9660 file system, and populate
it's /dev?

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935