Subject: Re: Boot code of linuxppc v. netbsd
To: Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow@geocities.com>
From: Stephen Ma <Stephen.Ma@jtec.com.au>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/08/1998 15:07:44

Dan> So, what shall we do?  Grab them back from OpenBSD and be merry?

Ummm... Probably the best thing to do, at least for hack-coff, is to
fix up the xcoff support in bfd to fill in the missing a.out header
fields correctly. As for ld.script, it's a trivial thing to rewrite.

Dan> Exactly, on a 7300.  What I get is a total inability to FIND the
Dan> kernel - someone on another kind of powerpc, please describe how
Dan> you do this.  If I leave it on a floppy I can't get the boot
Dan> loader to open it; do I need to have a partition first
Dan> recognizable by Open Firmware?  Plus, OF seems to be munging the
Dan> string gets() returns QUITE badly.

Ummm... Where exactly did you put the kernel? And what boot path did
you specify?

As far as I can tell, ofwboot can only boot kernels from ufs or cd9660
filesystems. These filesystems can be in disklabelled partitions, or
on a disklabelled raw disk. I think it only understands MS-DOS style
partioning.

- S