Subject: Re: Boot code of linuxppc v. netbsd
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow@geocities.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/03/1998 13:46:17
>> Notice that we are expecting five parameters instead of three.  Could it
>> possibly be that Apple's OF is not providing five?
>
>That was one of my speculations in one of my previous mails.

Sorry, missed that one.

Well, it should be fairly easy to determine - later tonight I'll hack my
way through the source to coffboot to have it show me the values of those
parameters.  Unless I'm mistaken, the parameters should be in r3, r4, r5,
r6, r7; I'll print those values out, etc.

It seems to me that they aren't really needed passed - don't they come from
boot-file in the firmware?  We could grab them with getprop.

So if this is one of the problems, we should be able to fix it.

>Well, it _is_ ignored in machines with firmware by firmworks (at least all
>that I know of).  To be exact, newer versions of the firmware, at least in
>my firepower machine, didn't ignore it.  If you requested real mode by
>setting the value to -1, the firmware would determine that it is in the wrong
>mode and reboot.  However, since the firmware couldn't handle real mode, it
>would boot again in virtual mode, read the boot code, determine, it's in the
>wrong mode, boot again, etc. etc....

I see.  I'll let you know what effect changing it has on a PowerMac.

>> Also, I note that a vmlinux.coff has only a .text, .data,
>> and .bss while we have seven or so sections.  Cutting corners for poor old
>> Apple again?
>
>This shouldn't matter.

Just fills in the defaults since no .note is present, I assume?  No need
for us to worry about that, then.  Although...interesting that real-size
and virt-size are 00100000 in my PRAM and -1 there.  Once again, I assume
it's irrelevant.

Dan.

| Dan Jacobowitz                 | drow@drow.net                    |
|  Administrator Extraordinaire  | Web site coming someday          |
| My opinions are my own -       | Day Job: http://www.wwwcomm.com  |
| My mistakes are someone else's |                                  |