Re: PowerMac booting...not yet.

SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

> Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow%geocities.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Dan> Congratulations...what is the architecture from which
> Dan> you are compiling?
>
> It's APS M-Power 604e/200 under linucppc 2.1.57.

Hmm...should not have any problems there, I would think...

Perhaps I will try to set up a cross-compiler on FreeBSD tonight.

> Dan> Right...
> Dan> Although, how does one produce a xcoff file?
>
> Gcc makes ELF format executable and objcopy converts it to
> xcoff format, but the Open Firmware loader on PowerMac
> doesn't like the xcoff file made by stock objcopy.
>
> The comment of a program `hack-coff' which comes along with
> linuxppc says that there are a few fields needed on Open
> Firmware on PowerMac but not initialized by objcopy. The
> program does the trick.

Objcopy and hack-coff.  Thank you very much - always wondered what
objcopy was for :)

> Dan> If you could put that netbsd.coff (hacked) file up on
> Dan> the net somewhere, I would be willing to try booting it
> Dan> on my machine (7300 604e).
>
> Hmm, I have no ftp/www site to put it on.  Is there someone
> has the place I can upload the file?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I would be glad to provide space.  Let me set something up.

If you could, just email the file (MIME or UUencoded) to
drow%drow.net@localhost
and I'll make a spot for it on my server.

Dan.