Re: PowerMacintosh, anyone?

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, bigj wrote:

> I'll be interested in seeing one being done, but the linux port is doing
> so well that it'll be hard to get people to move from it.  I also think
> that the method of installment is extremly un-friendly which might put
> people off.
> Just my two cents,
>
> Jambi.

  I also currently run the linux/pmac port. While it is very well
supported, and the RedHat Package manager makes things very easy, I would
be interested if only for the advantage of not having to mess with Open
Firmware (which, for those of us stuck with the older versions, can be
fairly painful) and booting right from an app.

  However, it would require quite a lot of work to become anything worth
running. There would have to be quite a lot more people interested to make
a pmac bsd port worthwhile. I'm not entirely sure why, but linux is about
3 times more popular to people who are just starting out in the unix
world. I can go into just about any bookstore and see 2 or 3 different
linux books, but nowhere does anything even mention BSD.

  I am not completely pessimistic; it just seems a little pointless with
such a big project (actually, two big projects) already going...

Peter

   peter abrahamsen
| p1rabbit%halcyon.com@localhost |
   seattle washington