Subject: Re: status?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 08/01/1997 13:35:18
On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > A more interesting question is: given that Apple's Open Firmware Boot PROMs
> > are lacking (and not likely to be improved in the short term), do we have
> > enough drivers from NetBSD/mac68k (or the other ports of NetBSD) to get it
> > up & going anyway?
>
> Some of the drivers are pretty close, but the bigger source is the
> linux/pmac sources.  I don't think it would be hard to get some of
> the mac-specific sources under a dual license (BSD & GPL) and most
> would probably have to be seriously modified to fit our driver
> framework, anyway.  This is, in fact, the direction I plan to take
> when I get back to it.

I've made a standing offer to cobble together a serial driver for the
powermacs. Basically it'd mean ripping the new mac68k serial driver in
two, sharing half (the clock rate & handshaking stuff), and making new
config/attach routines.

How many other drivers are we lacking? The CHRP standard for the MacIO
chip basically sounds like the Q660AV setup. I thought Cuda ADB was on the
way, and that we weren't that far off on the SCSI. ??

All we really need is a way for port-powerpc to attach interrupt handlers,
and to notice that it's got a MacIO PCI device. Then we can start dangling
drivers off of the MacIO.

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill