Re: NetBSD/be

Kazuki Sakamoto wrote:

>  > I'm sorry but I'm not familiar enough with NetBSD to provide much help,
>  > other than general encouragement.  If you have any BeBox hardware
>  > related questions, LinuxPPC is probably the best reference source code
>  > (http://www.linuxppc.org/) because there is a BeBox version.  I'm
>  > thinking of ordering the CD-ROM they just released (June 1997) which
>  > might be a good way to provide you with a working UNIX environment for
>  > cross-development, if the difference between Linux and NetBSD isn't too
>  > great to cause you problems.
>
> Can I install LinuxPPC via CD-ROM to BeBox?

If you can boot LinuxPPC, you should be able to install it from the
CD-ROM.  I recommend downloading the boot floppies from their FTP site
to see if your machine is compatible.  The biggest problem seems to be
video card support, because on my BeBox (Diamond Stealth 64 Video card,
Trio64V+ chipset), it stayed at the Be Logo, and I couldn't see any
kernel messages.  I'm sure they support SCSI CD-ROM drives on BeBox, I
don't know about IDE CD-ROMs.

How does your NetBSD port handle this?  Do you use a serial console, or
do you support VGA cards?  If so, which models?

|Jake Hamby| JPL employee, CS Student at Cal Poly Pomona, and BeOS
developer |
"One day I may just leave you far behind me." - Poe