Subject: FirePower Hardware issues
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 06/08/1997 23:51:19
 Wolfgang Solfrank visited me today and we tried to fix his broken FirePower
MX machine. Alas we failed. It currently looke like that the PSU is broken
(no power good signal). Unfortunately his MX machine requires 3V additionally
to the standard 5 and 12V. Therefore the PSU has 3 connectors to the mother-
board - very unusual.

 My FirePower ES has - surprisingly enough - no such 3rd connector, even
though it simply looks like the connector has not been soldered because
it isn't required.

 We believe that the connector for the 3V is required for the video-features
of the MX, which the ES doesn't have. By using boht the PSU - mine for
the 12 and 5V, and his for the 3V, we managed to resurrect the board
in the manner that the 2 red LEDs on the board came alive - the two green
are still distinct.

 Does anybody know where to obtain such a special PSU? Any other idea how to
check whether the issue is truly covered by the PSU?

--
Markus Illenseer