Subject: Re: power mac
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 05/21/1997 16:50:05
On Wed, 21 May 1997, Markus Illenseer wrote:

> > I can't comment on Jason's frustrations with OFW, but direct hardware
> > support shouldn't be as bad as it is on mac68k, as CHRP is fairly well
> > documented. Not perfect, but better than anything Apple released for macs
> > after the IIci and IIfx!
>
>  The issue is, that we currently have no man power at all to implement
> direct CHRP support for one sole platform. OFW is still the only solution
> for all platform, even though we might miss one or the other.

When we get it booting on PowerMacs, I'm sure we can find some. I'll help,
once I finish my Ph.D. and buy a PowerMac. I believe there are others
who'd help too.

My main point was that the Macintosh I/O section of CHRP basically
describes the Mac I/O ports for all PowerMacs (and the Quadra 660 and
840). We write it once, and we cover everything which has a Mac IO chip.

Take care,

Bill