Subject: disklabels
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/19/1997 14:25:39
As I understand it now, the powerpc port only grocks (sp?) ISO 9660
partition tables (disklabels). Would it be possable to, say as a
compile-time option, make it grock MacOS partition tables?

I gather from Jason's note that PowerMac support is in progress. Once that
arrives, it would be nice if MacOS and NetBSD/powerpc could co-exist on
the same hard disk.

While writing this note, I realized that CD reading software for MacOS
should be able to grock a hard disk w/ an ISO 9660 format (it's a writable
CD ROM!). But I don't think MacOS can boot from such a thing.

So thus the idea: at config time, possably choose to use the mac68k
disklabel code instead of the ISO 9660 code. Then PowerMac folks can use
both OS's with one drive. Also the mac68k mkfs and installer utilities can
set things up for NetBSD (other than what OpenFirmware wants to boot
NetBSD).

Thoughts? Am I way out in left field?

Take care,

Bill