Subject: Survey: What's a good compute server?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 02/15/1997 22:47:18
Alright, I've got some money to spend on a machine (because my SS10 didn't
work out). What should I do with it?

I want a machine I can put under my desk and use as a server -- netboot
machines, run a CVS repository on, dial up and do PPP with it, etc.

What are you guys doing this sort of thing with? What's supported, and what
are you using right now that works fine?

I can read the www pages, so I know what's on them. I need to know that you
have one at work/home, and it works fine. Also, how much does it cost roughly?

I'm not interested in a Multia/UDB box. I'm not interested in graphics (the
machine will run headless). I want a compute server, with room to grow
in the near future (say, next 5 years or so -- is that near?). Running a
stable NetBSD install is a *huge* bonus as well.

Motorola has some spiffy looking machines on their web site, will any of those
work (the web pages are kinda hazy on this)? Or would an Alpha be a better
idea? Are any PCI Alphas available, cheaply?

New or used is fine. What can I get for ~$3000 or less?

I haven't had a running NetBSD machine for almost a year. I'd _really_
like to get back into it.

I'm pretty sure your responses don't have to be cc'd to the other mailing
list, and some will probably prefer just emailing me directly.

Thanks for your input!
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/