Subject: Re: The Firepower bugs - especially saving interrupt vectors?
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.ORG, cagney@tpgi.com.au>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/17/1996 18:12:49
> The PPC port makes a number of references to FirePower OpenFirmware
> bugs.  Is there a summary of the problems that were encountered
> available?

Actually it turns out that most of these bugs aren't just FirePower specific,
but are more widely found on other Firmworks OpenFirmware implementations as
well.  While I do have a list of firmware bugs encountered, it isn't up to
date (I just installed a new version of the firmware last week), and it has
a lot of things unrelated to NetBSD/powerpc.  Apart from that there are a lot
of things in there that do make only sense if you have the same firmware
available.  Let me know (in private mail) if you really want/need that list.

> For instance, am I correct in assuming that the function ofwr_init()
> exists to get around a buggy firmware implementation that fails to
> ``save and restore the first location of each interrupt that it wants to
> "take over".' [1]'?

See my other mail on this.

> PS: As a suggestion, perhaps this might be an opportune moment to refine
> the FIREPOWERBUGS option into several more specific cases.

Depends on whether there are machines out there with some of those bugs...

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800