Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: None <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/15/1996 18:05:25
> While I can see how emulations for Solaris/PPC and Linux/PPC would work
> (having being involved in an implementation).  I'm afraid that you would
> find AIX another kettle of fish.  Issues include POWER compatibility,
> that @*&#^$&*( slab of code at very low addresses, the use of the
> segment registers, ...

Hmm, emulating Solaris/PPC wouldn't be that easy, as it is little-endian,
as far as I know anyway, and running programs with different endianness isn't
supported currently.

On the other hand I don't see AIX as a problem, apart from the POWER
compatibility.  Slab code shouldn't be a problem, since programs can get the
complete 4 GB address space for their use (well, currently apart from the
topmost page due to limitations in the vm system).  And segment registers
aren't user visible anyway.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800