Subject: Re: SMP on PPCs (was: Re: NetBSD for BeBox?)
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.ORG, ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/14/1996 17:29:39
Ty Sarna askes:

  There must be a way on SMP machines for code to tell on which CPU it's
  executing, like a memory location or IO port that reads different values
  from the different CPUs. Do the various PPC standards cover this? What
  method is used? Anyone know what the BeBox does?

As for the latter, I know. There is a memory location containing the
cpu number.

One of the BE newsletters contained an "OS writing guide". Not very
complete, but it covered a couple of issues. I have this stuff at
home.

In case anybody wants to do the BE port and does NOT have access to
the BE developer stuff (which should be corrected), I can dig it out.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis