Subject: Re: Re^2: NetBSD-Mach?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/12/1996 10:08:44

> So, I was looking through the sources available on the mlklinux ftp
> server, and unless I really missed something, one or both of the following
> are true:
>
> 	(a) The Mach kernel is distributed separately.

	Yes.

> 	(b) The Mach kernel they're using is unlike any Mach kernel
> 	    I've ever seen.  (I couldn't find the pmap, for example.)

% gtar -ztf mklinux-1.0DR2.osfmk.src.tgz | grep pmap
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/ppc/pmap.c
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/ppc/pmap.h
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/i386/pmap.h
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/intel/pmap.c
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/intel/pmap.h
mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/src/mach_kernel/vm/pmap.h

> If (b) is true, it's not likely that porting Lites to it will be all that
> easy.
>
> Though, I really could be missing something... from my study of the
> sources, there seemed to be _lots_ of pieces missing (low-level,
> essential stuff).  Can someone here post the canonical location of
> _all_ of the pieces needed to run mklinux on a NuBus Powermac?

% cat mklinux-README
This directory contains the DR2 snapshot of the MkLinux system
sources.

It contains the following archive files:

mklinux-1.0DR2.linux.src.tgz    The Linux server sources. Extract from
                                /usr/src for example and follow the
                                instructions in the MKLINUX_BUILD.README file.

mklinux-1.0DR2.osfmk.src.tgz    The OSF microkernel sources. Extract from
                                /usr/src for example and follow the
                                instructions in the OSFMK_BUILD.README file.

mklinux-1.0DR2.tools.tgz        The ODE (OSF Development Environment) tools
                                and more.

mklinux-1.0DR2.mklibs.tgz       MACH libraries and include files

If you just want to give MkLinux a try and see how it runs, you won't
need to use any of these archives, just install the mklinux binary
snapshot as described elsewhere.

If you want to build the microkernel, you need the "osfmk" and "tools"
archives. In addition, two empty directories need to be created -

         mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/obj/powermac
         mklinux-1.0DR2/osfmk/export/powermac

If you want to build the Linux server, you need the "mklinux", "osfmk" and
"tools" archives.

The source and tools archives should all be extracted from the same
directory (/usr/src is recommended, although not mandatory).

You can get more informations about MkLinux and this snapshot on the
MkLinux WWW pages:

        http://www.mklinux.apple.com

There is information on how to subscribe to the mailing lists, and
some FAQs (Frequently Ask Questions) about MkLinux and the snapshots
(including trouble shooting hints).

For more information about the OSF and its activities, please see

        http://www.osf.org

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"so we came up with a golden rule   |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | whatever works for you             |