Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Joshua Krage <jkrage@access.digex.net>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/11/1996 14:10:00
In a message dated: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:59:41 +0100, Wolfgang Solfrank (ws@kurt.tools.de) wrote:
>to make the 601 work..., apart from the fact that currently NetBSD/powerpc
>relies heavily on OpenFirmware, and afaik there is no 601 machine implementing
>OpenFirmware.

I'm well out of my depth in this, but how about the original Macintosh
7500/100?  It's listed as having a 601/100.  The update to the 7500,
the 7600, came with a 604/120 in its base model.

The native kernel for PPC Linux, which was developed on a 7500, uses
OpenFirmware to switch between OSs.  The native kernel uses the last
MkLinux distribution.  The documentation with the kernel describes all
the steps to do the switch, where the low-level OpenFirmware
manipulation is prominently featured.

jkrage@access.digex.net         Time, precious time. Where does it all go?