Subject: Re: Re^2: NetBSD-Mach?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 12/11/1996 09:33:36
> There's probably a reason for that... I'd go as far as to say that Mach
> is a cool research OS (and, that's what it is; a research OS), but
> I'm hesitant to base production servers and workstations on it.

You may have good reason to be hesitant. I'm not sufficiently familiar
with Mach to know the issues. But because of Apple's support of the
MkLinux project, people ARE going to base "production" machines on
it (or at least try to). I think a port of Lites would get us up &
running quick, and give an alternative to Linux. And we let Apple
port it to all the macs at first. :-)

Though I still do like (and will help) a monolythic port too. I think
both have advantages.

Take care,

Bill