Port-pmax archive

Re: Vax vs X11

Hello yet again.

On Sat, 12/20/14, Mattias Nordlund <mattias%xanthos.se@localhost> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Vax vs X11
 To: "Björn Johannesson" <rherdware%yahoo.com@localhost>
 Date: Saturday, December 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

 On
 wrote:

>>However the keyboard is completely fubar in X11, since I do not own a
>>mouse for my vax I'm not feeling really motivated to investigate. :)
>>User "mathew" on #netbsd.se did some checks with xev(1) on his /90A and
>>it was not good. Perhaps he will chime in here.

>X11 starts just fine, and it does not feel too slow on my /90A, but as we
>discussed before on GIMPnet/#netbsd.se the keyboard was totally fubar,
>using xev I could see that it did send input but not many keys had the
>correct keymap, also keys “stuck”, if pressing a key that keycode was
>sent to X until the next key was pressed.

Well your vax is several leagues faster than the VLC you sent me... :)
And lots more memory to boot!

Anyways, gleening at the openbsd code I have now un-fubar'd the keyboard
in X11. \o/ (I'm hoping Jochen still will send me the mouse he promised :P)
A testkernel can be found at (7.99.3):
http://2.248.109.164/netbsd.generic

This involves changing three files in sys/dev/dec
dzkbd.c, lk201_ws.c and lk201var.h

However... this also effects other users of the LK-keyboards (pmax).
I do not own a suitable machine for testing.
This looks suspiciously like the vax code. X11-kbd in pmax fubar too?
Does anyone know the state of affairs for pmax? Someone said that the pmax
port is totally broken.
Fwiw i put a kernel up (7.99.3):
http://2.248.109.164/pmax.generic

Patches are at (sys/dev/dec):
http://2.248.109.164/dzkbd.c.diff
http://2.248.109.164/lk201_ws.c.diff
http://2.248.109.164/lk201var.h.diff

And pmax (sys/dev/tc):
http://2.248.109.164/zskbd.c.diff

Btw, I was looking at the old Xhpc and Xmacppc servers and they do not look
trivial to get compiling in the current X11 tree.
Saw that hpcsh ships with Xorg too nowadays. It used Xhpc when I last
used it. So no help there. :/

Anyone familiar with Tiny-X?
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=16299.0
Perhaps a better option? Of course, someone would have to write the wsfb
code to hook into it.

Thoughts?

/Björn