Subject: Re: startx error after upgrading from 1.6.2 to 2.0
To: Sonnie Hook <sonnie.hook@gmail.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/19/2005 12:05:57
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Sonnie Hook wrote:

> Fatal server error:
> decPXInit: unable to open /dev/stic0: Operation not permitted
> Google just gave little information. Any hints?

  Access to /dev/stic0 is not allowed when securelevel is greater than 0.
The default kernel will be running with securelevel at 1, and XdecNetBSD
won't be able to access /dev/stic0.

  The option INSECURE in the WSCONS config file needs to be uncommented
and the kernel rebuilt to allow access to the PX series of graphics cards.
I think you may also be able to patch the secureity level to be -1, but
I haven't tried that.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant