Subject: DECStation 5000/200: expert advice needed
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Dmitri Vorobiev <dmvo@ee.oulu.fi>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/07/2003 22:51:23
Dear colleagues,

I already posted my question to comp.sys.dec, but Google says that
this list could be a relevant place as well. Traffic in this list does
not appear to be extremely high :) so that to increase it a little bit
let me ask the following...

After a major upgrade of computer equipment in one of the departments
of our University I am a happy owner of an old DECStation 5000/200.
The parts that I have are the following:

- System unit model PM36A-BC
- No memory modules, unfortunately -- not a single one
- TURBOChannel framebuffer PMAG-C
- LK201 keyboard and Digital mouse with cable
- VRT19-D3 monitor and video cable

I have assembled the parts following the manual and when I turn the
machine on, the power unit coolers start, the green light on the front
panel of the system unit glows, but the only thing I observe on the
display is a blank screen.

I understand that the workstation lacks memory modules, but is it
normal that there is nothing on the display? In other words, is there
any sense in looking for memory chips in this situation? Status LEDs
show 0111 0011.

Further, if there is any hope that installing memory modules would
revive this DECStation, could anyone (preferrably from Europe since I
am in Finland) sell me one or more MS02-AA/MS02-CA modules?

Basically, I would like to install Netbsd (and, perhaps, try some
other OS, too) and use this machine as a playground (or, maybe, I'll
come up with some other ideas of how to make use out of it).

I will be grateful for any advices/suggestions/opinions. In case my
question is an OT here, I am sorry for disturbance I have caused.

Thank you.

Regards,

--Dmitri Vorobiev

Komm wir tanzen auf dem Tisch