Subject: Re: 1.6.1 on dec5000/200 questions
To: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/28/2003 16:58:52
On 2003.05.28 15:37 Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  Hmm, I'm not sure how joining of packets could be done this way=20
[...]=20
I am not sure too. The manual says the switch can do (de)fragmentation.
I pluged it into my FDDI ring, pluged in my Ethernet hosts and it Just
Worked (C) (R) (TM). So I never cared about it.

>  Yes, it does SMT in "hardware",=20
OK. This makes many things easier.=20

> > SysKonnect published a Linux driver that includes the SMT code,
> > but this driver is GPLed... So no *BSD driver for them.=20
>  Ouch -- cannot they be convinced to re-release the code with a
> BSD-compatible license?  At least the hardware-dependent part? =20
I didn't try up to now. Maybe the GPL trouble can be avoided by makeing
the driver a kernel module that is not part of the official NetBSD
source?=20

> I suppose they chose GPL to prevent the SMT handler to be reused
> commercially.=20
Possibly. But maybe the SMT code is of no big use without the SysKonnect
hardware.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen