Subject: Re: Prestoserve module
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/02/2003 22:47:53
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 03:48:07PM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:

> I think it is largely the lack of a good reason..
> if anyone wants a prestoserve card i have one i dontneed, btw.
> the advantage would be in the nfs server;; the cost would be in having
> a separate codebase just for pmax nfs..

Not really. This should just be a battery-backed RAM, and similar hardware
exists for other platforms (there are sbus cards, we could immagine building
a PCI one too - or maybe AGP to have something faster). We could have a MI
support with MD hooks.
This can help NFS (mostly NFSv2, here is much less gain to have with NFSv3),
but could be very usefull for others use: plain FFS without softdeps,
or software raid-5.
If a pci-based hardware like this, with a decent amount of RAM, was available,
I would certainly be happy to work on it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>