Subject: Re: help - 3max (DS5k/200) will not start
To: port-pmax list NetBSD <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/31/2002 11:38:04
"Peter C. Wallace" wrote:
> Could be anything but my first guess would be a bad power supply, I've seen
> several of those in my DS5000s. DCOK is active high AFAIK, you might check the
> +5V and +-12...

Well, I did check the voltages but I do not have a
reference for the mobo that tells me what it correct.
Here is what I measured (view from top).

  ----------------------------------- front -------+
                          +--+--+                  |
       +-----+   +-----+  |1 |2 |    +-------------+
       |     |   |     |  +--+--+ |  |             |
       |  B  |   |  R  |  |3 |4 | |  |             |
       |     |   |     |  +--+--+ |  |             |
       +-----+   +-----+  |5 |6 |    |    power    |
                          +--+--+    |    supply   |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     /             /
                                     /             /
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                                     |             |
                    a b c d   e f    |             |
                    + + + +   + +    |             |
                    -------          |             |
                                     |             |
                                     /             /
                                     /             /

The voltages at the power feed are:
	B   0
	R   5.15

	1  12.24
	2 -12.14
	3   0
	4   0
	5   4.94
	6   0.20

and at the pin headers I have
	a   0
	b   5.13
	c   0.02
	d   4.94

	e   0.02
	f   4.94

All voltages measured against the chasis.

So, it looks as if the voltages are fine, but I am not sure that the
power OK signal is properly delivered. I assume this is one of 5/6?

Now some speculations:

I read somwhere that e-f is a jumper that clears the nvram. This does
not match the fact that the chip is cleared by shorting pins 12 (gnd)
and 21 (/rclr) and I verified that [f] is not directly connected
to [pin 21] or any other pin on the clock/vnram chip.

In other places I read that the 4-pin brown header on other DS5k models
has the pinout:
	a TRIG
	b GND
	c MFG
	d DCOK
and that
	shorting MFG-DCOK will reset the machine
	shorting GND-MFG will enable some manufacturing tests

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>